Thursday, 21 April 2011

Page 5) Development of embroidered surfaces

Sample 5a


Straight whip stitch on silk leaving some areas unstitched - then placed over woven fabric - further stitchery added - then cut out - withdrew threads from fabric underneath - zig-zagged open threads. This has worked very well picking up the textures and colours of the tissue paper although I would have preferred the background colour to be bluer. This fabric was dyed using procion and it has only picked up some of the colour.





Sample 5b


I decided to use navy and sky blue acid dyes for the silk. The sample below dyed in navy has created a beautiful petrol blue colour which replicates the tissue colour very well. This time I have used straight whip stitch but left more of the fabric showing. I've then made small tucks. The silk fabric works very well - it's delicate like the tissue paper - has a beautiful richness and manipulates very well.


Sample 5c


The following sample has been dyed using sky blue acid dye. This has worked very well and goes with the above darker blue sample. I have used straight whip stitch as per above.








No comments:

Post a Comment