Tuesday, 29 September 2009

Page 7 - 3rd design in paper

For this design I wanted to create the illusion of layers, light, shadow and hidden areas, just as you would find looking at a large piece of rock. I also wanted to incorporate some of the 3d elements I learnt on the Summer School. I decided to create more flowing lines with the layers with openings revealing embellished and textured fabric underneath. While working on the design I ran out of the mid and dark tone textured papers (it was also very difficult to manipulate) and therefore you will see in place of this I have used painted papers in the same tones.

The first image is pictured from the centre of the design looking across to one of the edges. I would envisage at the edge that the top layer would be cut slightly bigger so that when it is attached curves and gaps show the underneath fabric (which in this case would be dark blue)would be created. With the textured paper being very stiff I found it very difficult to manipulate. I would envisage there being bigger gaps and curve using the fabric so the underneath fabric can be seen than what I have been able to achieve with the paper.

This second image shows the above corner pictured the other way. The centre dark panel would be cut out bigger so when joined I could create curves and gaps to see the underneath mid blue fabric. You can also see a gap at the side which I thought would create added interest and dimension so the dark blue fabric could be seen from either side.
The third image is showing a closer image of the central section. The light blue fabric would be cut larger so that curves and gaps can be created. I would also envisage it being left open at one side and then higher up the piece left open at the opposite side to create an undulating slightly twisted effect. The light blue fabric would be positioned slightly higher than the other fabrics (due to the one underneath having gaps and curves).

Image four looks top down. While I am looking at creating lots of curves and texture I am considering keeping it to a fairly squarish overall shape. It feels like something which could be used as a cover for a box, fancy book cover or a piece for a wall. I am thinking about things which may dangle or come off the sides eg tassles or fancy sea-weedy bits.



Having considered the designs this is the one I am thinking of working with, using different tones of stitchery (perhaps herringbone) to blend the layers.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Carol. Some great ideas. I look forward to seeing the next stage.

    ReplyDelete