Saturday, 1 January 2011

Page 28 Sketch book - research on conservation theme

Over the last 3 months as well as undertaking research on the internet, I have climbed Kinder Scout and Black Hill to collect lots of photographic images as part of my research. Some of the images collected have been displayed on a notice board.


Below is a picture of an eroding peat bog. From this image I identified the following colours of petrol/steel blues and dark/washed out oranges. I am intending on using blues as the main colour with the dark orangy colours as complimentary colours.







I have created a sketchbook (currently 34 pages - 30 cm x 30 cm) which contains research material on the following:
  • Details of the South Pennine Moorland Conservation scheme
  • Pictures of the areas being restored
  • Information on peat
  • The causes of peat erosion - manmade and natural (images of peat erosion and crumbling bogs)
  • The impact of peat erosion on plant, animals and the environment
  • Images of polluted stream water
  • Benefits of peat conservation
  • Pictures of clear water running off peat bogs
  • Images of wildlife and plants peat bogs support
  • Words and phrases pertinent to theme
  • How peat restoration is carried out

Please see below a selection of images from my sketchbook:

Clear running water from peat bogsGushing water


Top of Bareholme Moss - showing areas with no vegetation

Peat bogs - top of Kinder Scout



Sphagnum Moss - Kinder Scout


View across peat bog on Black Hill

Peat Bog on top of Kinder Scout




Peat bog - on top of Kinder Scout

I have started to make drawings of the shapes, textures and patterns of the images in the sketchbook. These drawings will be used to develop a range of decorative papers for the larger colour compositions of abstract words.






No comments:

Post a Comment